Friday, November 28, 2008

I will bring out the ferocious goddess within if needed.

Because Dr. I Don't Give a Damn didn't give me more than three minutes of his precious time, I contacted a different orthopedic surgeon; this orthopedic surgeon is the one that my podiatrist originally recommended but that I couldn't reach in the beginning. Luckily, several weeks later I made contact with the doctor's secretary and scheduled an appointment with him for tomorrow. I am excited, antsy and nervous all at the same time. What if the doctor says my ankle hasn't healed properly and that I'll be crutching around for another month? What if he disagrees with Dr. no damn's verdict and suggests surgery? I feel that I should explore all the horrible possibilities in hopes that I will be wrong, as I usually am, when predicting the future.

I know that physical therapy is soon to follow. Finding that doctors are not always the most passionate, sympathetic people, I decided to seek a physical therapist (PT) on my own without waiting for a doctor's referral. Tomorrow I will simply ask the doctor for a referral and tell him that I already found a PT. If that doesn't work I will demand one, which is out of my character but may be necessary, and I am thinking about even throwing a grown-up tantrum if he refuses to give me one. Even though I have not yet met this orthopedic surgeon, and I pray he is not as rude and nonchalant as the other one, I have learned that most doctors these days just don't care enough. A physical therapist will actually care and help me. I've got to make the switch over from docs to PTs even if throwing a tantrum is the only way.

I sent out an email to the 70 or so NYC yoga teachers that I have in my email database asking if any of them knew a physical therapist who is also a yoga teacher. I got amazing and timely responses from so many teachers. This is why I love the yoga community. There are so many caring and loving individuals that comprise the yoga world; it is a community incomparable to any other. Now, I have a full list of yoga teachers and advanced yoga students who are also PTs, yoga therapists and massage therapists.

I was able to make an appointment for next Tuesday with a woman who is a PT and a yoga teacher, who's office just so happens to be in the same neigborhood as my boyfriends's apartment, and who incorporates yoga asana into her physical therapy practice.

Now I just need that referral from the doctor. I am Kali, I am Durga, and I am not leaving that office tomorrow without that slip of paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment