Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Amazing Chia Seed

We went to get brunch at a raw foods restaurant in the East Village called Quintessence last weekend. I loved it. After our meal, we felt it was too early for dessert, but took a look at the dessert menu anyways. In addition to some of my favorites, tiramisu and pecan pie, they had chia seed pudding and a banana split chia sundae. Dan said, "I wonder if these are the same seeds used for the chia pet." I made a crazy face at him and he explained that those little plant-like pets had to grow from something. Then I thought, "maybe he's right." I went home and did some chia seed research; it turns out this seed has tremendous health benefits and it is indeed the same seed used to sprout those old-school chia pets! Who knew!

Benefits of chia seed:
-high in calcium and good source of protein
-easily digested, even as the whole seed (no grounding needed as with flax seed)
-energy promoting and endurance aid. Great for athletes.
-a small amount is all you need to receive all of these health benefits and they are filling so you will eat less
-help clean out the intestines; detoxifying
-aid in digestion and regeneration of healthy body tissue

Chia seeds are very mild in flavor so you can add them to any meal or snack (pasta, salad, smoothie, yogurt) and they will not alter the flavor. You can order a large bag online. The cost is so worth the health benefits!

*I got my info on chia seeds from icreatewisdom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment