Saturday, December 13, 2008

Creatively carving the fibula

So a spiral fracture is what occurs when a bone twists apart. Apparently I have two of them. Two of them in my right fibula. The part of the fibula near the ankle. I saw the x-rays. They are actually quite pretty and artistically achieved, these fractures. Two perfect spirals one several beats above the other. Well at least I know how to injure myself in an artistically achieved, aesthetically pleasing way; seems about right for a former ballerina. I'm sure my teachers would be proud. If you're going to screw up do it full heartedly and with a smile attached for effect. 

What's next? Let's see...the morning of Christmas Eve Dan and I will be merrily skipping over to the orthopedic surgeons office, x-rays in hand, and Dr. Scissorhands will decide if he feels surgery is best or not. Yay, an early Christmas present for me. 

The podiatrist said that that the fractures were in good alignment, meaning that the surgeon may say nay to the surgery. Believe it or not, I'd rather have the surgery. I would feel more mentally eased having the surgery with less fear of re-injuring the ankle once the cast comes off. I used to teach and practice yoga everyday and when I slowly ease back into that lifestyle I'd rather do it without the fear of crashing to the ground, gripping my leg and screaming in pain b/c I felt a pop, twist, or snap.


No comments:

Post a Comment