Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Acupuncture, Lymph Drainage and Leeches oh my!"

Okay, so it has been made clear in earlier posts that I am a fan of Eastern Medicine, especially acupuncture. As time passed and New Year's approached I had been in my cast and off of my injured leg for two weeks and two days. My swelling however, had not gone down. Okay, let me take that back. My ankle swelling had gone down, thankfully, but the top of my foot was oddly very persistent upon keeping it's bloat. Well, better to have a bloated foot than a bloated other part, I guess. 

I was just so ready to walk and I had this idea in my head that, even though I thought Dr. I Don't Give a Damn was crazy when he first said it, I would walk by Tuesday, January the 6th. On this date I would have been in the cast and off my injured leg for three weeks. With only five days left to make a miracle happen I started e-mailing friends and googling like I've never googled before.  How would I get this blood puddle out of my foot and get myself in walking shape by Tuesday?

1) Lymph Drainage: this is actually a massage technique that is performed by a lymphatic drainage therapist.  When toxins creep into the lymph nodes swelling occurs. However, this somewhat passive, gentle, massage technique promotes a healthy lymphatic system by removing lymph blockages, and encouraging a free flowing lymphatic system. In a free flowing and healthy system, toxins are removed from cells and germ-fighting agents are delivered to cells that are infected with a virus.     

This sounds like a great idea but will it have me walking by Tuesday? Now that I have my mind set on doing the impossible, on something that I would advise anyone I love not to do, I feel like I have to work my own miracle and bust a move in five days!
It also turns out that it's a little pricy. I am after all a yoga teacher, and a non-working yoga teacher at that.


2) Leeches: this is funny because when I was first talking with Dan about the acupuncturist's said "blood sucking" method Dan said something like, "Why don't you just get leeches." Of course, he was being sarcastic, but my roommate actually said that I should try it, for real!  She warned me, nonetheless that I should look into getting my own, because some treatment centers in New York City charge some craziness like $600 per leech! Are you serious!?

I was intrigued enough to do some googling and here is what I found: (a) leeches are actually much more costly than a lymph drainage therapy session and I'm assuming the results are more instantaneous. Turns out that leeches go for about eight bucks a pop or even 7 bucks a leech if you buy them in bulk. A bulk purchase: that must be a lot of swellin goin on! Even better, turns out you can keep them in a fish-tank like jar for up to a year (which is their average life span) and simply change their water every three to six days. They don't even eat! Now that's a useful pet worth keeping around just incase. (b) Demi Moore now swears by leech therapy as a beauty secret to keep her skin glowing and youthful and detoxify her blood, promoting energy. Well if Demi, then me?

3) When all is said and done I'm sticking to my number one. Acupuncture is for me. Although, next time I have a horrible cold I may consider throwing some dough towards lymph drainage massage. And who knows, in about twenty years if I'm feeling my looks are diminishing perhaps a leech sucking session is in my future. For now, play me some chinese singing bowl CD's, lay me down, and poke me with some needles. :*

No comments:

Post a Comment